Take Action: Speak Up for Home and Hope
This week marks the beginning of the 2018 Legislative Session, and now more than ever it is important for you to make your voice heard on one of the most pressing issues of our time: ending homelessness. On behalf of the Reaching Home Campaign, the Partnership for Strong Communities, working in close concert with the CT Coalition to End Homelessness, will be watching the legislative process closely at the state level so we can keep you, our homelessness and housing advocates, informed and engaged.
We want our state legislators to hear from YOU why it is critical for them to continue supporting investments in homelessness and housing resources in Connecticut. We are making real progress to end homelessness – with a 34 % decrease in the past five years. These efforts save lives, and save resources wasted when homelessness persists.
3 Opportunities to Make Your Voice Heard this Legislative Session
- Testify in person or submit testimony for hearings on homelessness and housing resources at the state capitol. The hearings will be held from Monday, February 19th – Friday, February 23rd. We will be sending out Action Alerts to inform you about the hearings and providing you with Talking Points and Testimony Templates to help make testifying as easy as possible.
- Mark your calendar for March 7th & March 8th forthe 2018 Homelessness and Housing Advocacy Days, when advocates representing each of the 8 CAN regions meet with legislators and make our case to preserve, protect, and defend the resources you need to do this important work. Click here for more information and for the CAN schedule for Advocacy Days.
- Respond to Action Alerts: Throughout the session we will be sending out Action Alerts and asking you to reach out to your legislators. We will be sending out both the contact information for legislators and talking points. Please call, email, and connect with your legislators to ensure continued investments in our work to end homelessness.
Webinars and Tools
We will support your efforts with the following tools:
- Click here to view the 2018 Budget and Appropriations Hearings Webinar. This webinar will provide you with insight on the state budget climate, introduce you to the Reaching Home Campaign the 2018 Legislative Agenda, and sharpen your advocacy skills in preparation for the 2018 legislative session.
- Click here to register for the 2018 Advocacy Days Preparation Webinar scheduled for February 21st from 3:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m. This webinar will cover everything you need to know about Advocacy Days — in addition to support and training, you will receive an overview of issues we’ll be discussing, and an update on the legislative session. Lydia Brewster, Assistant Director of Community Services at St. Vincent de Paul Middletown, is an expert in empowering individuals experiencing homelessness to speak up. She will be joining us to share some insights on how best to work with client advocates to help them prepare for Advocacy Days.
- Click here for the 2018 Reaching Home CT Legislative Agenda.
Thanks again for your commitment to ending homelessness in Connecticut. Together we are making a difference!!
Please contact Sarah Fox (email@example.com) and Liz Roberts at (Liz@pschousing.org) if you need any assistance with advocacy this legislative session.